Good reminders even if we’ve heard them before:
• Spray bottle – filled with cold water - in the fridge = refreshing!
• Put skin toner in the fridge. Cools your feet right down.
• Plastic water bottle in freezer. Take it with you for icy water.
• Wear light-colored, loose cotton clothing
• Self-cooling pillow pads (Sharper Image)
• Decrease your exertion level
• Drink more water and electrolyte drinks
• Go out at cooler times of day
• Cold water poured into your cap before walking. Keeps your head cool.
• Cold water to a neck bandanna. Same idea. Keep refreshing it as it dries.
• Cool meals, like salads. Avoid using the oven.
• Have that ice cream or sherbet! :)
For your home:
• Close the doors to unused rooms
• Change to LED bulbs, at least those you sit next to
• Turning on exhaust in kitchen or bathroom sucks out warm air
• Turn ceiling fans to counter-clockwise. This pushes air down to create a cool breeze.
For your pets:
• Dogs with heavy coats can use a river, pet pool or bathtub to keep cool
• Remember, pavement can burn dog paws – bring a pad to stand on (or staying home in the AC is best)
If no AC:
• As above, plus…
• Open windows at night, close in cool air by closing windows in early a.m.
• Remember the idea of putting a bowl of ice in front of your box fan? It really works.
• Insulated window film cuts heat coming in
• Black-out curtains, especially in the south & west-facing rooms of your office or home
• Sail shades or awnings outside your windows
• Go to our local lakes. Jump in!
• Go to the library, grocery store or movie theater. Use someone else’s AC.
Take good care and have fun! Wishing you a wonderful July, Judy